1. Soak the red onion in very cold water, just enough to cover, with a generous pinch of salt, for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, drain and pat dry with kitchen paper. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, slice the salmon very thinly. Sprinkle with another generous pinch of salt and set aside for 10 minutes while you prepare the remaining ingredients
3. In a small jug, whisk together the bergamot juice and zest with the chilli, ginger, garlic, sugar and olive oil. Place the salmon in a bowl and pour over the bergamot mixture. Mix well, then refrigerate for 10 minutes, then remove from the fridge, add the fennel and soaked red onion and mix well, then leave for a further five minutes at room temperature.
4. Heat a small frying pan over a medium heat, then add the pine nuts. Toast in the dry pan, shaking it regularly, until they are lightly golden and fragrant (don’t take your eye off them, as they burn easily!). Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
5. Halve, stone and cut the avocado into roughly 2cm dice. Mix the diced flesh gently with the salmon. Arrange the salmon on a plate, then scatter over the coriander and toasted pine nuts. Serve with brown rice or in lettuce wraps.